National Dog Day celebrates all breeds, pure and mixed and helps the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year, either from public shelters, rescues and pure breed rescues. National Dog Day honors family dogs and dogs that work selflessly to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort. Dogs put their lives on the line every day – for their law enforcement partner, for their blind companion, for the disabled, for our freedom and safety by detecting bombs and drugs and pulling victims of tragedy from wreckage.
The day encourages dog ownership of all breeds, mixed and pure, and embraces the opportunity for all dogs to live a happy, safe and abuse-free life. Dogs give us companionship; they keep us safe, and they aid those in need. It is a goal for many on National Dog Day to find homes for all dogs in need of a loving family. The goal of the National Dog Day Foundation is to rescue 10,000 dogs each year.
Ways To Celebrate National Dog Day
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter or rescue organization
- Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog, play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they may need help with
- Donate blankets, food & toys to animal welfare organizations
- Have a National Dog Day party and invite all of your friends and their pups
- Make your pup some tasty pupcakes
- Buy an official National Dog Day T-shirt and sport it proudly
- Buy your dog a fun new toy!
- Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him/her to the dog park
- Get your dog pampered at your local doggie spa/groomer
- Teach your dog a new trick
However you choose to celebrate, be sure to include your pup!